Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Friday, May 20, 2005

Are You Ready To Rumble..?

Constitutional Crisis 101

A BUZZFLASH READER CONTRIBUTION
by Wes Owens

* * *

As I sit here watching the Senate on CSPAN, I see we have arrived at a constitutional crisis.

Because I have made my living working as either a contractor or on the direct payroll of the US Federal Government since 1974, the business of the US Govt has been an interest of mine.

I never really appreciated the US Senate as an institution until about 1985 when I became friends with a staffer of ex-Senator Roth (R-Delaware, you remember the Roth IRA?) and was concurrently reading Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson. If I recall, some critics of Caro's work dismissed the 2nd volume of Caro's bio., "Master of the Senate," as a rehash of high school civics. Not so. You see, just today, I was led to re-read the Constitution of the United States (the internet is a wonderful thing).

This reading of our Constitution reminded me of the fact that in the original document, the founding fathers designed the Senate as a forum where tradition, stability and the rights of the minority have not only a voice, but the means to speak dissent to the power and passions of the current majority. This is fundamental, basic and necessary to our system of checks and balances in the governance of the United States.

This was done by the Constitution of the United States defining the Senate as 3 classes, each class to consist of 1/3 of the Senate, to be subject to elections every two years. Therefore it should take at least six to eight years for any transient event or passion to fundamentally change the balance of power in the US Senate. Not to mention that Rhode Island and California have the same weight in the Senate.

The Senate is not and has never been a purely "Democratic" institution. It was designed to be a vessel where passions may be cooled and considered.

Think about it, why does the United States Constitution require the "Advice and Consent" of the Senate for "Lifetime Tenure" on the Federal Judicial Bench? Them founding fathers were very smart.

To further this principle of checks and balances, the framers and founders of the Senate adopted the filibuster rule. Why would they do such a thing? To protect the rights of the minority? To ensure fairness in the administration of Democracy?

Now I tell you true: In my United States of America, the minority has a voice, and the Senate filibuster ensures that voice is heard. This fundamental right of giving a voice to the minority ... a right that is enshrined in our constitution ... and this is very important: May only be changed by THREE election cycles OR by a super majority of the US Senate to end debate. Less than that ... look up "fascism" in your Funk & Wagnall's, my fellow Americans.

To change or discard this concept is a repudiation of the principles of this country that I have worked my adult life to support. This makes me angry.

And I want EVERY US Senator to know how I feel: If the current Republicans do manage to eliminate the filibuster on this issue, I will urge every Democratic Senator to fight. Not only to fight but to bring the business of the Government of the United States to a halt. Yes, shut it down as much as possible. No spending bills passed, no highway money spent. All of it to a halt.

And I will spread the word to the best of my ability that the Republicans have destroyed our democracy and they must be repudiated and voted out of office. Because in pursuit of raw naked power, they have abandoned the principles that have guided this nation for the past 200 plus years. The nation that I have worked for, the nation I served my military service, the government that has paid my freight all my adult life ...

And then, on that unhappy day when I call Countrywide Mortgage Company, & tell them that the congress is paralyzed and not paying my salary ... so how can I pay my mortgage? Ah, well, then we will see who blinks first Mr. Frist.

Bring it on Mr. Frist, we are tired of your bullying and I for one, am ready to fight.

Wes Owens
Bowie, Maryland

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/05/05/con05179.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter