Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Saturday, October 15, 2005

'Millions More' March On D.C.


(CBS/AP) Shane Barge watched the Million Man March on television from a hospital bed, under a doctor's care for alcoholism and feeling the burden of not being a father to his two children.

"It showed me how much of a detriment I was to our race and what I was doing to my family," Barge, 45, of Richmond, Va., said Saturday as he and thousands of others gathered at the National Mall for the 10th anniversary commemoration event, the Millions More Movement.

In 1995, the Million Man March and its message urging black men to take responsibility for improving their families and communities spurred Barge to give up drinking and renew his bonds with his children. "I was grateful to them for putting that together and letting me see what I was," he said.

Women, whites and other minorities had not been invited back then, but men and women of all ethnicities were welcome to the new gathering, which intends to build on those principles and push people to act for change locally and nationally. In a last-minute addition to the program, a representative from a black gay group also spoke to the gathering. >>>>cont

Link Here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter