Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Cheney confirms that detainees were subjected to water-boarding

Posted on Wed, Oct. 25, 2006

Cheney confirms that detainees were subjected to water-boarding

By Jonathan S. Landay
McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney has confirmed that U.S. interrogators subjected captured senior al Qaida suspects to a controversial interrogation technique called "water-boarding," which creates a sensation of drowning.

Cheney indicated that the Bush administration doesn't regard water-boarding as torture and allows the CIA to use it. "It's a no-brainer for me," Cheney said at one point in an interview.

The radio interview Tuesday was the first time that a senior Bush administration official has confirmed that U.S. interrogators used water-boarding against important al Qaida suspects, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged chief architect of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Mohammad was captured in Pakistan on March 1, 2003, and turned over to the CIA.

In an interview on Tuesday, Scott Hennen of WDAY Radio in Fargo, N.D., told Cheney that listeners had asked him to "let the vice president know that if it takes dunking a terrorist in water, we're all for it, if it saves American lives."
"I do agree," Cheney replied, according to a transcript of the interview released Wednesday. "And I think the terrorist threat, for example, with respect to our ability to interrogate high-value detainees like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, that's been a very important tool that we've had to be able to secure the nation."

"Would you agree that a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?" asked Hennen.

"It's a no-brainer for me, but for a while there, I was criticized as being the vice president `for torture.' We don't torture. That's not what we're involved in," Cheney replied. "We live up to our obligations in international treaties that we're party to and so forth. But the fact is, you can have a fairly robust interrogation program without torture, and we need to be able to do that."

LinkHere

1 Comments:

Blogger The Stark Raving Viking said...

US citizens are being held in America as political prisoners.

I wrote things officials and police didn't like in Connecticut newspaper letters to the editor.

I also wanted civilian oversight of police and the courts. I told a Stafford Springs Connecticut State senator that I intended on suing Connecticut State Police for civil rights abuse.

There was an attempted mugging of me on my property. I used pepper spray. Connecticut State Police were there to arrest me, and my attacker was given immunity to prosecute me as self-defense is illegal in Connecticut.

I was run out of the $500,000 properties that I restored with much wrecking of my body and all of my savings and retirement, all gone. The houses were boarded up, and I did all that was needed inside and out.

The American Dream for me was an absolute nightmare. I blame Bush Style thinking and arrogance.

-Steven G. Erickson a.k.a. blogger Vikingas.

Try doing a word search on my full name

26/10/06 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter