Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Monday, February 19, 2007

At the morgue

McClatchy Baghdad Bureau

...Now begins a horror that surpasses anything I could have possibly envisioned .We were led away, and before long a foul stench clogged my nose and I retched. With no more warning we came to a clearing that was probably an inside garden at one time; all round it were patios and rooms with large-pane windows to catch the evening breeze Baghdad is renowned for. But now it had become a slaughterhouse, only instead of cattle, all around were human bodies. On this side; complete bodies; on that side halves; and EVERYWHERE body parts. We were asked what we were looking for, " upper half" replied my companion, for I was rendered speechless. "Over there". We looked for our boy’s broken body between tens of other boys’ remains’; with our bare hands sifting them and turning them. We found him millennia later, took both parts home, and began the mourning ceremony. Can Hollywood match our reality?? I doubt it.

continua / continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter