Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards Makes Live Call To Ann Coulter: "I'm Asking You To Stop These Attacks"

Elizabeth Edwards confronts Anne Coulter on Hardball
In front of a Republican-leaning crowd on Chris Matthew's "Hardball" Tuesday, Ann Coulter received an unexpected phone call from Elizabeth Edwards, wife of presidential candidate John Edwards, asking the "journalist" to raise the level of public discourse in America above personal attacks.
"In the South, when somebody does something that displeases us, we like to ask them politley to stop doing it," said Edwards. "I'd like to ask Ann Coulter too. If she'd like to debate on issues, on positions -- we certainly disagree with nearly everything she said on your show today -- but it's quite another matter for these personal attacks."
The call comes on the heels of a "Good Morning America" appearance yesterday where Coulter was asked about her homophobic cutdown of the former North Carolina Senator a few months ago. "So I've learned my lesson. If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future," she replied. "I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assasination plot."
Although Coulter flippantly agreed to a debate, Edwards kept pushing back. "It did not start with [yesterday]. You had a column a couple years ago which made fun of the moment of Charlie Dean's death and suggessted that my husband had a bumper sticker on the back of his car that said, 'ask me about my dead son.' This is not legitimate political dialogue. It debases political dialogue. It draws people away from the process. We can't have a debate about the issues if you're using this type of language."
Coulter later questioned why the presidential candidate didn't phone in himself, to which Elizabeth had a ready answer. "I haven't talked to John about this call. I'm phoning in as a mother," she said to much applause. "I'm the mother of that boy who died. . . These young people behind you are the age of my children. You're asking them to particpate in a dialogue that's based on hatefullness and ugliness instead of on the issues and I don't think that's serving them or this country very well."
When given time to respond by Matthews, Coulter railed on Edwards for what she deemed a first amendment violation. "I think we've heard all we need to hear," she says. "The wife of a presidential candidate is asking me to stop speaking. No."
The following video is from MSNBC's Hardball, broadcast on June 26.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter