Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Is Iraq Vietnam? Who really won in 2000? Which side are you on in the culture wars?

These questions have divided the Baby Boomers and distorted our politics. One candidate could transcend them.
I don’t oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war … I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of al-Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter