Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Friday, December 07, 2007

A Prayer to Maryam.

Layla Anwar, An Arab Woman Blues
There is a sacred spot outside of Damascus called Sednaya. It is a very old monastery run by nuns, on top of a steep hill, overlooking the whole of Damascus and its surrounding areas... Inside this monastery, there is a tiny worship place, a sanctuary (...) The main wall is adorned with golden icons, and in the middle, there is a small niche, glowing with light, and this is where Mother is. Our Lady Maryam, had appeared in Sednaya and has healed many... Pilgrims flock from all over the Middle East, Christians and Muslims alike, invoking Mother, supplicating her, asking for favors, for healing, for blessings... I was there too. As I usually do, I pray first for my family, my friends and those who are close to me in mind and heart, those I care about. Then my prayer extends to all the departed ones all the way to my ancestors. Then, I pray for Iraq. All of its people, its women, its men, its children. I have a special prayer for the orphans and the widows, the sick and the homeless... Then I pray for the people of the Middle East, in particular the Palestinians. From there my prayer extends to everyone in need regardless of their nationality or religion. Then I pray for the earth and all that is on it. Then I pray for my enemies... This last one is the most difficult one. That day I asked Mother to help me with this last prayer. And this is what I said to her....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter