Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Richard Armitage On Torture: I Should Have Resigned From Bush Administration (Video)

Richard Armitage, the second in command at the State Department under President Bush, toldAl Jazeera English in an interview to be aired Thursday that had he known then what he knows now about the torture of detainees, the right thing to do would have been to resign.
"I hope, had I known about it at the time I was serving, I would've had the courage to resign," Armitage said in an interview, according to a transcript provided to the Huffington Post.
"Fault Lines" host Avi Lewis pressed Armitage about remaining in the administration. "So when you knew that the administration of which you were a part was departing from the Geneva Conventions and sidelining them, why didn't you quit?"
"In hindsight maybe I should've," said Armitage. "But in those positions you see how many more battles you have. You maybe fool yourself. You say how much worse would X, Y, or Z be if I weren't here trying to do it? So torture is a matter of principle as far as I'm concerned. I hope, had I known about it at the time I was serving, I would've had the courage to resign."
LinkHere


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter