Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Thursday, May 12, 2005

OPERATION TRUTH

Hidden Casualties (Rob Timmins)

April, 2003

During Cordon and search operations as a member of 1/327 Infantry of the 101st Airborne, I found myself encountering death for the very first time. In searching some apartment buildings around the area of the agricultural college, my squad was to clear each apartment in order to ensure there were no snipers present, as well as gather any evidence as to any Baathist or Fedayeen activity. Upon searching the bedroom of one apartment I came across the body of a girl who must have been no more than ten or eleven years old. The flies and stench of her decomposing body was overwhelming. Battered and bound her skin bore no resemblance to the playful young girl she must have been. Such a stark contrast the color of her skin was to the vibrant colors of her dress. At first I wanted to just run away. I had prepared myself as best I could mentally for the sight of dead bodies. Yet I didn't take into account that I would see more than just Iraqi men fighting for their causes.

During the rest of my tour in Iraq, I was exposed to many other instances that were more ghastly and vicious. Yet the little dead girl from Najaf is the one who wakes me in my sleep every night. There are more American Casualties than the more than 1,500 dead American Soldiers and Marines, or the countless thousands that have been maimed or have severe physical traumas. The Hidden casualites are some of the most difficult to treat and are some of the least understood by the military and civilian health personnel, the chain of command both military or civilian, the Americian public, and most importantly, the Affected Soldiers and their families. More needs to take place to support these soldiers and there families so they can reintergrate into society. So people like myself and others can let go of the nightmares that don't seem to ever go away.

www.operationtruth.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter