Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Fever...

Layla Anwar, An Arab Woman Blues
...I think it must have been this last piece of news about Iraqi children being sold out of dire desperation that really gave me a fever. And from the article it is not a one off occurrence, it happens regularly. Remember I told you kids are being trafficked and sold in pedophile rings and working as maids. Well this is the confirmation for you. And you still wonder why I hate you so ? But, I am still trying to figure out what exactly brought this fever on.Maybe it was this lentil soup and the couples of dates that I had. My mother has this very bad habit that she is still unwilling to give up. Every time she hears about someone coming from Baghdad she asks that they send her some special kind of lentil- yellowish colored ones and some dates. I keep telling her "For God's sake, am sure they have lentils and dates here, do you really need this stuff from Baghdad? We have enough problems as is, do you also want to ensure our contamination with Depleted Uranium ?" It's a fact- foodstuffs locally produced are contaminated with D.U. And her reply is always the same: "I don't care, it's from my country" And my comeback is always the same: "And your/our country is very sick"She shrugs her shoulders and continues cooking that soup and arranging the dates. Could it be the soup and the dates that gave me this fever ? Or maybe the walls, the sold children, and the one thousand other ills that have plagued us?....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter