Just Foreign Policy Iraqi Death Estimator    

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Flashback: McCain Favored Abolishing Department Of Education

In Obama's ad hitting McCain on education this morning, there's this throwaway line:
"He even proposed abolishing the Department of Education."
What's the basis for this charge? It turns out that in December of 1994, McCain said: "I would certainly favor doing away with the Department of Energy and I think that given the origins of the Department of Education, I would favor doing away with it as well."
Here's the full context of a CNN interview on December 11, 1994 (via Nexis), when Newt-mania was gripping the land:
FRANK SESNO: Senator McCain, would you favor doing away with the Department of Housing and Urban Development or the Department of Energy?
Sen. JOHN McCAIN: I would certainly favor doing away with the Department of Energy and I think that given the origins of the Department of Education, I would favor doing away with it as well. HUD had experienced many failures under both Republican and Democrat administrations and I would certainly want to revamp it from the bottom up, because, clearly, public housing in America is almost as big a disaster as the welfare program...
LinkHere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter